As a child I never enjoyed reading. I didn’t even read my book report books in high school. I just found a summary online and winged it; not a very good habit to get into.
When I got to college I realized I would be in the real world soon. I had many aspirations and wanted to reach all my goals and dreams. The best way I could think to learn how to do this is to read about people who have.
The first book I ever read cover to cover was Think and Grow Rich – By Napoleon Hill. It is a great book and I highly recommend it. From then on I have always had some book I have been reading.
I try to find time everyday to read. I read one book at work during my lunch break. I have another by my bed I try to read every night. I think reading is so important to people who aspire to be more than they are now. Books give us great insights into what people have done to be successful and what we can do to emulate that success. It is also a outlet for us to relieve stress and forget our worries, much like working out.
I have a hard time reading any fiction. I like my books to be based in reality and something that I can learn from. Each book is a new lesson. You should never stop learning and books afford us that ability to always increase our knowledge.
I have listed some great books I have read below that I have learned a great deal form.
– Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
– Seven habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
– Lincoln on Leadership – Donald Phillips
– The Art of the Deal – Donald Trump
– Team of Rivals – Doris Kearns Goodwin
– Moneyball – Michael Lewis
– Turnaround – Mitt Romney
– The Real Warren Buffet – James O’Loughlin
– Leaving Microsoft to Change the World – John Wood
– Patton’s Principles – Porter Williamson
– The Art of War – Sun Tzu
– Failing Forward – John C. Maxwell
– Crush It! – Gary Vaynerchuk
This should get you started. When you are ready for some more suggestions just let me know. I will also review books and give you other suggestions from time to time.